Recent Acquisition, Family Heirloom

My grandpa Carl (Mom’s father) was a clock collector. He sold most of his collection but saved his favorite pieces and gave one grandfather clock, one anniversary clock and one cuckoo clock to each of his 3 children. The cuckoo clock has been passed on to me, which I think is great. I was always fascinated by the piece as a child and am glad to have it. Not sure how old it is, but after inspection, I can guarantee it was hand carved.

#1 anominous on 09.29.10 at 9:35 pm

That is rad as hell.

#2 l3wis on 09.29.10 at 9:39 pm

You should see all the hooks and back workin’s – crazy!

#3 l3wis on 09.29.10 at 9:46 pm

In fact, I should have you get it working for me, Mr. Repairman, of sorts.

#4 anominous on 09.29.10 at 10:07 pm

Nooooo.

#5 Beer Jew on 09.30.10 at 7:29 am

Pretty Rockin!

If you need that bad boy fixed, you should see if Kolbe still fixes clocks. Well worth the investment.

#6 l3wis on 09.30.10 at 7:36 am

Oh, he has worked on the family clocks already, the results have been dismal. When he worked on my aunt’s grandfather clock he mumbled something about missing parts. Have you ever been in his ‘shop’ OSHA would have a hayday.

#7 Costner on 09.30.10 at 8:07 am

If you can have the little bird pop out and say “I’m Cuckoo for Cocopuffs” then you will have something special.

#8 Sy on 09.30.10 at 8:12 am

I think you need to go on “Antiques Roadshow” with your Tom Bosley talkin’, derby wearin’ ass and see what you really have there. Might end up wanting to up your homeowners policy if that thing is worth some decent $$.

You could wear t-shirt that says:

“Rock out with your clock out”

#9 Costner on 09.30.10 at 8:17 am

Sy: You could wear t-shirt that says:

“Rock out with your clock out”

I don’t care who you are… that is funny right there.

You should print those bad boys up Sy – with a big picture of a cuckoo clock at high noon on the front… I’d order one.

#10 Angry Guy on 09.30.10 at 9:37 am

I’d order one too… DL, get on a design and throw it up on your cafepress site. SRSLY

#11 redhatterb on 09.30.10 at 6:07 pm

I have had the guy that repairs clocks through Ahlers work on the hand crafted grandfather clock that my late Dad made. I have had no problem with his work. The last time he worked on it his fee was the same as the other repair shops in town. He made all of it other than the works, which he ordered from some company. He actually made four clocks, one for each of us girls and one for them. Then somebody came along and hired him to make one for them.

#12 l3wis on 09.30.10 at 7:57 pm

I’ll check it out. I also have an anniversary clock that needs some work.

#13 l3wis on 09.30.10 at 7:57 pm

I like the t-shirt idea. Maybe I’ll work something up.

#14 Johnny Roastbeef on 10.01.10 at 6:47 am

Nice clock!

#15 Yakatyak on 10.03.10 at 7:54 am

there used to be shop in Sheldon IA, downtown with a guythat fixed clocks, did a heck of a business. Not sure if he is still there, but worth a try. the working were pretty simple, overwinding is the most harmful thing. Great looking time piece he must have liked to hunt.