City of Sioux Falls annoucement

I got word today that the city will soon announce that all parks in Sioux Falls will be ‘tobacco free’. I mildly remember the city council talking about this a few years back, and kind of steered away from the topic. Apparently the Parks Board and Health Board made the decision. One of the stipulations is;

‘The intention of the policy is to achieve voluntary compliance’

Good luck with that. I personally don’t care either way. It is annoying though to be enjoying the outdoors in one of our wonderful parks and smelling cigarette smoke, but it is a legal product.

#1 scott on 03.19.13 at 4:22 pm

No chewing tobacco either, but feel free to spit you sunflower seeds wherever!

#2 Testor15 on 03.19.13 at 5:30 pm

Ban smoking but encourage visitors to bring their guns…

#3 Joan on 03.19.13 at 6:38 pm

I agree with Testor on this. There is no reason to bring guns any place in public, other than the people doing it want to look like big shots or macho.

#4 Craig on 03.19.13 at 7:14 pm

A welcome rule if you ask me. I have no problem with smokeless tobacco, but I’m not a fan of having smoke blown in my face, and I’ve got to say the number of cigarette butts found on the ground is disturbing.

#5 Detroit Lewis on 03.19.13 at 9:27 pm

Craig, I don’t have a problem with it either, but the voluntary compliance made me laugh.

#6 Wayne Fanebust on 03.19.13 at 11:29 pm

Asking for voluntary compliance will only cause angry smokers to light up in defiance.

#7 Testor15 on 03.20.13 at 9:14 am

Did you see on Stormland where there was a line waiting to speak at City Council? I wonder how Erp and SubPrime liked having to listening to citizens?

#8 Pathloss on 03.20.13 at 12:09 pm

How about citizens Filibuster council meetings. Takes 2/3 council vote to end the meeting. 3 of the 8 (63%, not 66%) support democracy. Could stop certain ordinances from passing. Presently, any ordinance or ‘voluntary compliance’ is/are unenforceable. Fines can’t be collected and no appeals into court. Just ignore anything city until they allow due process for citizens.

#9 Alice15 on 03.20.13 at 1:15 pm

I have to say when I am sitting at my kid’s activities and someone feels the need to light up – it about sends me. If it disrupts the habit or at least makes people think twice – I am all for it.

#10 PrairieLady - Gayle on 03.21.13 at 8:31 pm

Gezzzz…. we smokers are such dirty filthy scum. I have always been careful where I blow my smoke and do not throw my butts on the ground. Next it will be I can not smoke in my yard, then not in my house.
I am not too thrilled about children running and screaming when I want a quiet walk, gum chewing and snapping who leave their gum for my shoe sole, fat slobs slurping 60 oz sodas, but it is something I put up with if I want to go out.

#11 Tom H. on 03.23.13 at 9:50 am

Wayne –

Are you the same Wayne Fanebust that wrote “Where the Sioux River Bends”? I read that recently – a really great book!

#12 Craig on 03.23.13 at 6:04 pm

PraireLady – I think ,ost acknowledge that not all smokers are guilty, but you have to admit the vast, vast majority are. I see evidence of that outside every building and in every gutter.

As to sodas and gum, last I checked if someone uses those products it doesn’t increase your risk of lung cancer. Sort of a different scenario but I understand your frustration.

#13 Detroit Lewis on 03.24.13 at 1:07 pm

Tom, yes, same man. Fantastic author. You should read his book about Pettigrew.

#14 Wayne Fanebust on 04.01.13 at 12:00 am

Thanks for the kind words about my books. For anyone who is a Civil War buff, my most recent book is entitled: “Major General Alexander M. McCook, USA, A Civil War Biography.”