Did Mayor Mike try to ‘Huether’ the Governor’s Economic Development (ED) office?

Don’t mess with the ‘Wizard’ of Sioux Falls (reader submission)

After knocking a few cans over, I finally got the torrid details of the pissing match that is going on between the mayor and the governor’s economic development office.

I must remind you that these events are ‘rumored’ to have occurred, by an anonymous, reliable source. I have had two other people verify the events as I am laying them out.

It all started with a lunch meeting the governor’s economic development office was having with a company interested in moving to Sioux Falls. Now this isn’t your normal, run of the mill, strip mall retail center, this is a research facility that wants to spend about $60-$80 Million building a facility in Sioux Falls. Also in attendance at the lunch was an ED rep from the city, and MMM.

Huether seemed to be confused as to why there wasn’t an ‘executive’ from the company at the lunch. The governor’s ED office informed Mike, during the meeting, that the Governor has already had ‘several meetings’ with the company in the past few months.

Mike was not happy (a temper tantrum ensued), and Mike left the meeting.

Mike then instructed his ED office to stop working with the Governor’s ED office representatives, and went as far to tell the governor’s ED office to ‘reassign’ certain reps.

Would have loved to hear the laughter in the Governor’s office after that request.

As I understand it, the Governor’s ED office reps are very good at their jobs, they also dot their ‘I’s and cross their ‘T’s. They probably also don’t care who gets credit for this, though preferably, they would prefer their boss to get the credit, since it seems the governor’s office seems to be the one doing all the legwork on this project.

It seems MMM is a little bent out of shape, because the governor’s office is stealing his thunder on this project. What is unfortunate is that Mike could screw this whole thing up because of his ‘ego’ problem.

The company is close to making a decision. They also admitted that 60% of the jobs they already provide are already from this region (I believe they are an Iowa company that is in the region) But have vowed to of course fill the remainder of the jobs from this region also. The main reason they want to move to Sioux Falls is they plan expansion, and they know they can only do it in Sioux Falls. They will also provide good wages, remember, as I understand it, this is a research facility, not a Walmart.

*As I noted, this comes from a very reliable source, but this is all second-hand accounts of the events.

#1 Scott on 03.26.13 at 4:26 pm

The ego continues to swell. I’m waiting for that moment his head explodes. Hopefully, he’ll be “Huethering” at that moment.

#2 anominous on 03.26.13 at 4:34 pm

Sounds tasty. Does said company employ any oompa-loompas?

#3 hmr59 on 03.26.13 at 9:10 pm

His capASScity for doltish behavior just amazes me – what an embarrassment for the city. Mike, do us all a favor and just bow out of the 2014 race…

#4 Big Guy on 03.26.13 at 9:39 pm

Re: Anominous – When you mentioned Ooma-Loompas, I was reminded of Veronica Salt’s song from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Sounded like Huether, eh?

Gooses, geeses
I want my geese to lay gold eggs for easter
At least a hundred a day
And by the way

I want a feast
I want a bean feast
Cream buns and doughnuts
And fruitcake with no nuts
So good you could go nuts

No, now

I want a ball
I want a party
Pink macaroons
And a million balloons
And performing baboons and
Give it to me now

I want the world
I want the whole world
I want to lock it
All up in my pocket
It’s my bar of chocolate
Give it to me now

I want today
I want tomorrow
I want to wear ‘em
Like braids in my hair and
I don’t want to share ‘em

I want a party with roomfuls of laughter
Ten thousand tons of ice cream
And if I don’t get the things I am after
I’m going to scream

I want the works
I want the whole works
Presents and prizes
And sweets and surprises
Of all shapes and sizes

And now

Don’t care how, I want it now
Don’t care how, I want it now

#5 Detroit Lewis on 03.26.13 at 9:48 pm

#6 Lamb Chislic on 03.26.13 at 9:52 pm

Love that pic! Keep ‘em coming!

We’re blessed to have such a shallow, er, narcissistic, er, deceitful leader. Once again, MMM was simply making the most of a day that God gave him. But inquiring minds want to know what his mother will have to say about this juvenile behavior???

GOED, eh? Does our little Napolean fear that his one-time rival, Pat Costello, will deservingly steal MMM’s thunder?

#7 scott on 03.27.13 at 6:26 am

Let him have the credit so he runs governor and doesn’t run for mayor.

#8 pathloss on 03.27.13 at 10:04 am

3-M looks like the Wizard of Oz. Lot’s of special effects but just a little man with nothing but ego behind the curtain.

#9 pathloss on 03.27.13 at 10:10 am

Imagine the cowardly parking director running through city hall and diving out a window. Send in Todo to part the curtain and expose 3-M. Careful, Urpbucket attracts falling houses and has flying monkeys.

#10 anominous on 03.27.13 at 10:44 am

If I may volunteer to do some free word association- the words “research facility” and “Iowa” naturally make me think of the words “air quality” and “effluent”. However I could be wrong. The last governor’s big secret project was an oil refinery, and the early word on the street was that it was going to be a toyota factory.

So if this thing doesn’t have a rainbows and lollipops and a river of chocolate coming out of it, I won’t be surprised. I would bet it’s either a slaughterhouse for horseys and butterflies, or a else a lab for tweaking pink slime recipes, or else a little ol’ plutonium refinery.

Anyway, I’m blaming dacola and all your cynical commenting for it not happening, low SD wages and non union workforces, be damned.

#11 Detroit Lewis on 03.27.13 at 10:49 am

Anom, I believe it is an animal pharm research company. So yes, animals will die.

#12 pathloss on 03.27.13 at 11:00 am

SD can’t get the right formula for letal injection. How can we qualify for animal testing?

#13 anominous on 03.27.13 at 11:11 am

Well, that’s good to hear, Lewis. I feel better already.

This calls for a new mural somewhere, “Y’all have reached the End of the Trail…” :(

x x

#14 Testor15 on 03.27.13 at 11:37 am

There is a certain animal research company who has wanted to expand to SD for years. The must be growing to the point to finally make it happen.

#15 Detroit Lewis on 03.27.13 at 12:38 pm

anom, someone pointed out to me, there may not even be any ACTUAL animal testing at this location.

#16 anominous on 03.27.13 at 12:57 pm

Is it clones?

#17 judy judy on 03.27.13 at 3:54 pm

The state economic development office is a notorious resting place for Republican political hacks. I am sure they were not trying to do Mayor Mike any favors by meeting a number of times with the Company’s officers before letting the city (our city) in on the deal. What are they doing messing around with a Company wanting to locate in Sioux Falls anyway? Trying to redirect it to Pierre? I don’t blame the Mayor for being upset. They should have involved the city at the first mention of the company’s desire to locate here.

#18 Detroit Lewis on 03.27.13 at 4:17 pm

Judy, first off, they did include him. Just not at the get go. Secondly, I think it is the State’s job first to promote economic growth and jobs. What if they approached Mike first? Would the state have a hissy about it? Doubtful. You have to realize, state law and statutes trump city ordinance. If I was looking to relocate to Sioux Falls and I was from, say, Iowa, I would contact the governor’s office FIRST to make sure state law would allow such a business. Remember, they have to registered with the SOS office. I feel the proper procedure was taken here. Do I think the state ED office should have informed the mayor these discussions were going on in advance? Definately. But like I said, the mayor was hardly ‘left out of the loop.’ It comes down to Mike wanting to take credit for it. He did the same to the city council over the Walmart press conference. Who cares who takes credit, this is GOOD for the people of SF and the state, Mike should take some pride in that instead pouting like a baby.

#19 LJL on 03.27.13 at 8:55 pm

I think what Judy meant to say was….IT ALWAYS A REPUBLICANS FAULT—ALWAYS—ALWAYS —ALWAYS… How dare they make Mikey feel so small.
Damn South Dakotan republicans. DAMN THEM ALL.

#20 l3wis on 03.27.13 at 11:31 pm

Well I do agree with her on that.

#21 Helga on 03.28.13 at 3:18 am

LJL is totally correct…..IT ALWAYS A REPUBLICANS FAULT—ALWAYS—ALWAYS —ALWAYS

#22 Did Mayor Huether’s ego mess up a major project? — South DaCola on 02.01.14 at 10:15 am

[…] in March of 2013, I reported about a major project that was considering coming to Sioux Falls from […]