Entries Tagged 'blog' ↓
April 2nd, 2013 — blog, Kermit Staggers, SF City Council, Sioux Falls
I will admit, I was blindsided a little bit ago. During the LIVE meeting of the SF City Council informational meeting, councilor Staggers questioned why he could not access certain ‘blogs’ on his city computer. He iterated that it was perfectly acceptable for the administration to block certain sites from city employees. And I agree. While I would love it that people read my blog, I would prefer they DID NOT do it on the taxpayers dime. However, he brought up the topic of ‘research’ and they should be able to access it for that. He also reminded the ADMINISTRATION they are welcome to block their employee’s internet access, but they have NO RIGHT to block elected officials. And he is right.
I will also say this. Kermit and I had a splendid convo today about tonight’s city council meeting’s agenda. He never once brought up blocking blogs. (We were not in cahoots on this) Like I said before, people will still read my site. They will just have to do it with their morning coffee at the breakfast table or with their end of the day night cap.
I think they referred to my sites as ‘MSN’ and ‘Hotmail’, LOL!
March 10th, 2013 — blog
Got this interesting email after forum, by someone who has worked in government for several years;
Your mentioning the fictitious name issue and Pat Powers yesterday brought a question to mind — fictitious names can be filed with either the Secretary of State or any county register of deeds in the state. Have you verified that PP did not file in Brookings, Hughes, or any other county?
This is in response to a Democratic Forum attendee (attorney) who questioned if Pat Powers ever registered his name, or a fictitious ‘business’ name for Dakota Campaign Store in Brookings or Hughes county. It is a misdeameanor to not register your business with the SOS of state’s office, if your business is not named after your own name. I know we have talked about this in the past . . .
March 9th, 2013 — blog
Though I was a little nervous about speaking at FORUM, yesterday, it went well.
Some topics I touched on;
• The lack of professionalism or at least substance in our local media.
• The AG’s ‘Faux’ investigation of SOS Jason Gant and Pat Powers,
• The money and influence in Pierre from ALEC and similiar organizations (I told them the only way Dems would take back Pierre was if they shut down the money machine from the right).
• The lack of ethics rules in our state for government employees and politicians.
• Political satire and the Dan Scott/Janklow VS. Randell Beck (Argus Leader) case.
• Sharing stories with the MSM.
• Suppression of editorial cartoons.
• Rigged bids in our city, the Events Center (I had a retired city employee approach me after FORUM that pretty much verified that it goes on).
• The city of Sioux Falls exploding debt.
• Tips and conspiracy theories and sorting it all out.
• What I ‘hold back on’
• My prediction that Huether and Staggers would be in the runoff for mayor. I told them about how they both were veracious campaigners.
• PREDICTION OF DAY: Huether is running for governor in 2014.
I really enjoyed actually ‘talking about’ what I do. People who know me, know I am not short on what I do (no pun intended).
March 1st, 2013 — blog, Media
I will be the guest speaker next Friday at Democratic Forum.
Forum starts at Noon and is held at the VFW, 3601 S. Minnesota Ave.
There is NO CHARGE for attending Forum, but they do pass a hat. They encourage folks from all parties to attend.
TOPICS I WILL BE COVERING
- How I got started blogging
- Editorial Cartoons & the importance of political satire
- Blogging as the ‘New Media’
If time allows:
Stories I have either broke or helped break;
- Heuther VS. Staggers in the mayoral race
- Pat Powers promotional website, SOS Jason Gant, Powers resignation and the AG’s faux investigation
- Royal River Casino’s Sioux Falls Casino Proposal
- Democrats assisting Republican De Knudson in her bid for city council
January 19th, 2013 — blog
He has an interesting blog he started after publishing the above book, mom writes;
Did I ever tell you that my cousin Joel Jurrens, also has a blog site. He lives in Estherville, IA and is a deputy sherrif over there. He also has written a mystery book named “In the Sticks”. I have it and read it. He is the type of guy that has a dry sense of humor and injects this into his book.
BTW, my mother is a DaCola reader and commenter. Be nice.
October 3rd, 2012 — blog
August 7th, 2012 — blog
You may, or may not have noticed that my intro page is gone. I may bring it back, but me puking out politicians is no longer.
It is something I have been meaning to change for awhile.
We will miss you Pukey.
July 31st, 2012 — blog, Media
I would have to agree, the best, independent, non-partisan political blog in the state is David Montgomery’s politicalsmokeout.
Which I find refreshing.
This is a guy who makes his living from a gigantic media company that attacks bloggers, kisses the asses of advertisers, and let’s local politicians walk all over the publisher.
So while the poor subscribers who pay for a daily newspaper subscription have to read the boring drivel in the dead tree version, us political nerds get to read the ‘GOOD STUFF’, for FREE on David’s blog.
Keep it up Argus. I love it when you poke yourself in the eye.
July 12th, 2012 — blog, Sioux Falls
Sorry to see Holsen calling it quits so soon, but duty calls;
Jennifer’s Musings is going silent so I can devote my time to my sick and dying Father. I am sincerely grateful to those readers who expressed concern and offered words of comfort and prayers. This is a very difficult time for my family and me. My focus is on what is truly important – love of family and commitment and support to a father who has shaped my life and provided me with guidance, love and support my entire life. Good-bye.
I totally understand, family comes first.
I credit Holsen for coming down hard on the Charter Revision Commission and getting them to back off on their ludicrous proposals.
February 14th, 2012 — blog, Blues Bashers