Today the Huffington Post went to great lengths to manipulate Senator Rounds’ remarks and take them out of context. Rounds believes it was a mistake for Trump not to disavow the KKK immediately, a key point of the conversation conveniently left out of the quote being misrepresented and the key element missing from the Huffington Post’s “story.”
Even if you’re disappointed with the way he’s responding to things, even if you’re mad at him, you disagree with him, if he did it intentionally — I don’t think he did, I think he just made a mistake — even if he did, they’re still going to do a better job with him there than if you had Hillary or Bernie in his place.
Because you know, a racist POS is way better, and hey, if you can get the white power folk to vote for Trump, more power to them (no pun intended).
Okay, I know what you are thinking, Detroit is at it again with his Christmas list. But to tell you the truth, that has been off my radar. Why? Well, because Mike did his smooth sailing to his Senate seat, so I figured, “Never happen.”
And it may not, but there has been quite a bit of chatter about it.
I had a good chuckle, because like I said, these things don’t come easily. So I picked the brains of some connected Republicans in the state about the possibility. They didn’t know anything about pending indictments, but this comment sticks out from one of them, “Lobbyists in Washington consider Rounds as TOXIC because of EB-5.”
Yeah, let’s talk ‘toxicity’. His two terms as governor were plenty toxic for me.
UPDATE: A reader identifies the person in the ad as Doug Rounds, Mike’s brother. I will admit, I was skeptical also if it was Mike, because the way this person ends sentences is different then Mike’s voice.
Not sure if it is him (towards the end of the ad, not the beginning speaker) but if it is, he is violating US Senate Ethics Rules (Pages 8-9; DOC;EthicsOverview_Booklet).This one sticks out;
May not allow name to be used by an entity providing professional services.
There may be a little wiggle room here if it is him. First off he doesn’t use his name (I am Mike Rounds trying to sell you insurance) though it is his agency. And the sell job is done by another announcer, but still a slippery place to be. I remember as sitting governor he did PSA’s for supplemental insurance (that his agency sells) those ads quickly disappeared after it was brought to his attention. These might just mysteriously go bye, bye to.
“I have had the opportunity to talk to a number of Democrat Senators who are welcoming the change back to what Leader (Mitch) McConnell is saying will be the new norm, which will be making through a regular order of business where committees actually function once again and are expected to get their work out on a timely basis,” Rounds said.
And when you talked to those senators Marion, did they tell you they prefer the non-Rush Limbaugh title of ‘Democratic’. No surprise coming from our new Repug Senator.
John Pekas is my winner this year. John has shown he has been a great advocate for the people of Sioux Falls and Minnehaha county as commissioner, and I think he will continue to be and advocate for the people as a judge. Since the county commission has put the meetings online, I have watched Mr. Pekas over the past year perform his duties as commissioner with the highest integrity and compassion. He is also pretty darn smart. Often giving legal advice above and beyond the commissions legal counsel.
I wish him the best in his new job.
My loser this year was very easy to pick. Former governor and future senator Marion Mike Rounds. While he skirted in easily to the senate, it wasn’t because he worked at it. The ‘I hate Obama’ machine took ahold in South Dakota. Not only was Mike one of the most corrupt governors (besides Billy Bob Janks) South Dakota has ever had, his involvement in the ongoing EB-5 scandal should worry South Dakotans about the future of our Jr. Senator. Marion might have won the election, but he ain’t nothing but a big fat loser in my opinion.
I would also like to give a distant 2nd place loser to Marty Jackley for assisting the SD GOP in the EB-5 and Mette case cover-ups. Remember, when in a corner, always blame the dead guy.
I can only cringe to think that Marion Mike Rounds could become our next US Senator. Only in South Dakota would we choose a crooked Republican over a Liberal Democrat. Whether you are Republican, Indy or Democrat, please, I beg you NOT to vote for Rounds. His clear record of corruption make him unfit for office.
There are many reasons NOT to vote for Mike Rounds, and let’s just pretend for a moment that he did nothing wrong in the EB-5 scandal (he’ll lie to you and tell you he hasn’t).
Rounds’ record as governor wasn’t anything less than corrupt.
– Using his gigantic fleet of state owned airplanes for personal use, then paying the fuel bill from the Governor’s club fund ‘after’ he was busted. It was so scandalous at the time, Professor Reynold Nesiba got it on the ballot to limit Rounds’ travels, and the good people of SD agreed.
– Increased the FTE’s by over a thousand during his short tenure, giving many jobs to family members and family members of campaign contributors.
– No bid contracts to campaign contributors. Just call Scott Lawrence over at Lawrence and Schiller, he will explain it all to you, or maybe his brother can, you know, Craig Lawrence, the guy running the State GOP now.
– Elkpoint / Hyperion fiasco. That has so many layers, don’t even know where to begin. How is that project going by the way? And how much state tax dollars were wasted?
– Millions in subsidies to TransCanada, that they didn’t need or ask for.
– Taking public education funding in SD back to the stone age (remember, one of Rounds’ objectives is to get rid of the Federal Department of Education as senator).
And let’s move on to EB-5.
While we could discuss all the lying Rounds has done about what he knew, and what he didn’t know, I have often said there are two finer points that stick out, the unknown.
– The FBI has admitted there is an ongoing investigation. That means there is a possibility that Rounds could be indicted after the election. Do we want a newly elected Senator being indicted?
– Richard Benda’s autopsy report NOT being released. I have often told people this is the lynchpin of the entire scandal. It has been determined by several people that suicide by a shotgun blast to the stomach would be an awful way to do yourself in. Candidate for governor, Mike Myers has done several demonstrations showing how difficult it would be to shoot yourself using a branch and a shotgun. Attorney General Jackley has even made the comment that his suicide was suspicious. But what really got me thinking was when former senator Larry Pressler, who has many FBI connections asked the question at the last debate, “Was Richard Benda Murdered?”
Unlike all the other documents released in this fiasco called EB-5, doesn’t it seem strange that this autopsy report hasn’t? Is it so damning that not even Rounds could attempt to lie his way out of it? I ask, as does Larry Pressler, “Was Richard Benda murdered?”
With all of this information about Marion Mike Rounds, that we know of, why on earth would any South Dakota voter cast one for him? It baffles my mind.