Entries Tagged 'Thune' ↓
February 27th, 2017 — Kristi Noem, Rounds, Thune
Ellis stuck it to our triple R’s in DC;
But sometime, between now and the end of the August recess, they’ll need to put their big-boy, big-girl pants on and hold some town halls. They need to show the state’s voters that they can stand down blubbering bounders, paid provocateurs and those who are genuinely concerned. They need to have the courage of their convictions to explain why Obamacare must go and why its replacement is better for the country. Because if there’s one thing people dislike more than a hypocrite, it’s a coward.
This is why I often tell people to get involved with local politics, DC is just full of silliness. These three could care less how the average South Dakotan lives their lives. Noem pretends to care on occasion because she wants to be governor, but Thune and Rounds have been disconnected for years. Of course the Stooge protectors say this is a setup for the left wing to attack them. First off, if there is a ‘left wing’ big enough to attack people in SD, please point them out to me, I would like to meet them, and secondly, this isn’t about just attending a left leaning town hall, it’s about having ANY town hall that is held in front of the general public.
February 20th, 2017 — Kristi Noem, Rounds, Thune
While I like the idea, I will be shocked if any of them show up to the Lion’s den;
Sens. Mike Rounds and John Thune and Rep. Kristi Noem will return to South Dakota during a congressional recess period, but don’t plan to hold formal town hall forums. Spokespeople for the three said they hadn’t received invitations to the Thursday forum.
Kate Hayes, one of the group’s organizers, said she thought it was important that constituents remain an active check and balance system, weighing in regularly about Trump’s comments or policies that might worry them.
“We want to get back to where we’re doing our job as part of our democracy,” she said. “We need to be there to watch them and hold them accountable.”
Even if this was a grassroots Republican event, I doubt they would make an appearance, these clowns only show up to these kind of events if they can show off shooting hoops or collecting checks from rich donors.
But I’M NOT discouraging people from going to the event at Icon Lounge-Sioux Falls, Thursday, 5:30 – 7 PM. There will be a lot of other guests and speakers, should be fun, especially if NO Republicans make it.
December 30th, 2016 — 1st Amendment, Briggs Warren, Code Enforcement, County Commission, Darrin Smith, Dean Karsky, Democrats, Denny Sanford Premier Center, Developers, Development, Downtown Sioux Falls, Elections, Electoral College, Event Center, Green Energy, Greg Neitzert, Homeless, Homosexuals, Jeff Barth, Jim Entenman, John Paulson, Kermit Staggers, Liberals, Mayor High Crimes, Mayor Hubris, Mayor Subprime Mike Huether, Mike Huether, Mike Myers, Minnehaha County, Neo-cons, obama, Open Government, Open Meetings, Pam Nelson, Paratransit, Patrick Starr, Pay Day loans, Planning Commission, Political Satire, Potholes, Project TRIM, Property Taxes, protesters, Public Utilities, racism, Redistricting Sioux Falls, religion, REMSA, Republicans, Rex Rolfing, Rick Kiley, Ritch Noble, Road Funding, Sanford Hospital, Satire, Separation of Church and State, SF City Council, SF School District, SFFD, SFPD, Sioux Falls, Sioux Falls Parks and Rec, Smoking Ban, snow removal, Snowgates, South DaCola Fest, South Dakotans, Staggers, State Funding, Stop the Funding, Theocracy, Theresa Stehly, Thune, Town Hall Meetings, Unemployment, Walfart, Washington Pavilion, Wind Energy
ArtMaze, one of the better parts of Sioux Falls life in 2016
2016 has been a rough year for citizen activism. While it has been up and down here in Sioux Falls with many successes and failures to boot, it seems Washington DC has gone into full collapse as we allowed racist, sexist, hillbillies to elect our president.
READ ABOUT 2015 REVIEW HERE.
But locally there were three things that stood out;
• Governor Daugaard claiming that voters were ‘hoodwinked’ into voting for IM 22, then getting the Pierre (in)justice system to go along with it. Funny how for over 40 years voters have been voting his party into power, and no word about ‘hoodwinking’ but once that corrupt power will be challenged, all the voters are idiots. As one official told me that used to work for Dennis, it’s not the public that are idiots, it’s Dennis. And his idiocy has been shining through.
• The South Dakota Democratic Party’s bottom completely fell out, and the people in charge patted themselves on the back. Insanity I tell you! Insanity!
• But one of the greatest achievements of the year is the Sioux Falls City Council’s change of power. The four new councilors have been flexing their muscles with a little help from Councilor Erickson, and while they have had a few missteps to start out, they have been learning from the battle scars. While ‘leadership’ of the council (Rolfing and Kiley) seem to be on a two man mission to rubberstamp all things Huether, shut down public input, and concoct false ethics charges against a fellow councilor (until they got caught lying like the snakes they are) they are becoming more and more in check. The city council has many big plans for 2017, and I have a feeling their agenda will push through easily as our lame duck mayor melts.
Let’s take a look at some the finer high and low points of 2016;
• The Huether Tennis center continues to block parking from other event attendees at the Sanford Sports complex though they basically stole $500K from taxpayers for the facility. Throughout the year there was several reports on cones and signs blocking the lot with not cars in it. But hey Mike’s Bride won an award this year and seemed surprised she did, without commenting that her check to the organization that gave the award wasn’t returned.
• The Sioux Falls City Council leadership and mayor’s HR department pulled a military retiree out of their asses for city clerk, a person who will be in charge of our city elections and hasn’t been registered to vote for years. He also proved his knowledge of official stamps when he stamped a petition without even bothering to read it. While Mr. Greco has gotten better over the year, the city clerk position should not be a $80K+ a year job as an apprentice, sadly being trained by one of his assistant clerks who has ten times the qualifications and applied for the position but was turned down. I’m sure it had nothing to do with the council chair’s view of women in the work place.
• Speaking of letting the mayor’s HR department and Leadership’s Mutt and Jeff pick the next internal auditor, the council barked loud enough that they did not want another ‘Greco’ pick. Not sure if the barking worked, but the person who was set to take the job saw the writing on the wall and turned it down. Hopefully the person who ultimately gets the position won’t be turned down because they shave their legs.
• The city continues to blow money on the Winter Wonderland Display, but the way the mayor has been cutting budgets these days, I expect next year’s display to be a couple of homeless barrel fire pits, sponsored by the Dudley House of course.
• After posting about the ridiculous corporate like raises the mayor has been giving to his management team, he turns around and still screws the minions with dismal raises again this year. I think in a special note to the city employees on their Christmas paystub he wrote, “I don’t care.”
• The city continues the FREE condom distribution program at area bars, and for some reason Monk’s is always emptied the quickest. Coincidence that is also a favorite watering hole of city managers . . .
• The Tuthill shooting case becomes ‘inactive’ and a tree branch shadow gets off scott free.
• The Erp wrongfully calls out local massage therapists as prejudice because they pointed out the ‘shower massages’ that were taking place around town. Apparently someone got a bad fortune cookie that day.
• The car rental tax and BID tax grabby-grabby fails in Sioux Falls, but the state legislature passes one of the most idiotic tax increases ever so our teachers are now just tied for last instead of dead last in pay. Out hoodwinking governor already has plans to rob the pot only one year after its passage.
• Hartford’s city government was in a state of collapse. Who really cares?
• The Levitt Pavilion is moving forward in Sioux Falls. It will be nice watching outdoor concerts sitting in the grass while battery acid is boiling beneath our asses.
• The Boulevard ordinance changes went into effect. Now stop worrying about rocks and plant a garden.
• The Washington Pavilion got a change of leadership after Darrin Smith takes over as President. So far he has only eliminated one director, but I hear the blood-letting has just begun. Now let’s throw another couple of million at the place to fix the poor construction to begin with. That will never happen with the Events Center . . .
• The Events Center cracks down on outside snacks and guns at events. We are all now safe from cheap fat people shooting us, but not in the parking lot.
• The Pottie Room war starts in Pierre and is guaranteed to return in 2017.
• A state legislator calls transgender people ‘twisted’. Now I’m struggling with what word to use describing our state legislators?
• A city council candidate throws a hissy fit over a post I wrote about his wife’s involvement with the Jesus plows and after threats to my employer I pull the post. He ends up taking last place in the at-large race. How’s Jesus working out for you now?
• Due to health reasons, Kermit Staggers decides not to run for a 4th term on the city council. His endorsement of Stehly puts her over the top.
• One of the youngest candidates in city history runs for city council. I apologize to Briggs for all the shitty things I said about him during the campaign.
• The Argus Leader sues the city for the details in the secret events center siding settlement. The Argus loses the first round but it is headed to the SD Supreme Court.
• On a similar note, the SON neighborhood is also awaiting a judgement in their Walmart suit with the SD Supreme Court.
• While our Sioux Falls City Council approves the DAPL through Sioux Falls, it takes thousands of protesters in ND to actually stop it. Too bad our city council chair doesn’t understand how to vote.
• The Mayor and Q-Tip Smith screwup the DT parking ramp development by flapping their traps to soon, and the council later on in the year returns the favor and defunds the ramp all together for 2017. I still think the fiasco is what got Smith to seek refuge at the Pavilion.
• City officials throw a hissy-fit over Bruce’s camera at a city meeting we were invited to by then city councilor Kenny Anderson. Looking back on it now, I just chuckle.
• Former city councilor Dean Karsky and now commissioner elect has become the official endorser in Sioux Falls.
• Bruce and I do a presentation on voter turnout in Sioux Falls at Democratic Forum and one of the mayor’s buddy developers in Sioux Falls tries to shut us down. When he fails, he walks out. Another casualty to transparency.
November 7th, 2016 — Cartoon, Elections, Thune
October 13th, 2016 — Elections, Jay Williams, Thune, US Senate
Just finished watching a ‘Discussion’ between the two candidates on SDPB.
First, let’s look at the cold hard facts, Thune is probably going to beat Williams in the election, it’s sad but true. The unfortunate part about this is that Williams is a strong candidate, and if the Democratic party in SD got their S— together, they could have gotten behind him early and made him a true contender. Jay, unfortunately had to fight this battle almost alone, and came in way late in the game. He is virtually a political nobody, as he has admitted in the debate. To tell you the truth, I had no idea who he was until he announced his candidacy.
All of my truthiness aside, Jay kicked John’s ass tonight. He is a tech savvy business man that is a Vietnam vet who believes in diplomacy. Just his words about humanitarian aid to countries who may hate us, spoke volumes about his position on how you treat your enemy.
But two things stood out in the debate that further cements my nickname I gave to John years ago, Ironic Johnny Thune-Bag cannot help himself from being ironic.
First he talks about how Democratic policies have hurt the (working) poor of our state. That debate aside, does John realize it is 40 years of policies from his party that have created these people in our state with failed programs like EB-5 and tax cut, trickle down mentality. It just doesn’t work.
He also talks about ‘de-regulation’ then tries to counter Williams by promoting the regulation of the internet, etc. So which is it John?
Just like his flip-flop about voting for Trump, Thune has been in DC for too long, and all the things he accused Daschle of, he has embraced.
Oh the Irony of Thune.
August 15th, 2016 — Thune
Not a lot of love for our senior senator;
Senator John Thune; My bill would eliminate the taxes you’ll owe on your winnings when you get home
Jeff; Wow, douchiest congratulations ever. Like getting socks for Christmas.
Jackie; I’ve never felt like someone’s given me a toothbrush on Halloween more, not even when it’s actually happened.
Christopher; Sitting US Senator tries his hand at mansplaining. Goes poorly.
Karl; tell her how your party has been working hard for the last 25 years to make sure her whole family can’t vote.
Once again we are blind in South Dakota to the embarrassing things John does in the name of our state. He should be offering us a citizen arrest of his fellow senator over EB-5.
July 7th, 2016 — Thune
attribution; Getty Images
John is at it again;
What’s the best way to prevent more babies being born with horrible deformities from the Zika virus? Preventing the pregnancy in exposed women in the first place. That means allowing Planned Parenthood, which helps prevent approximately 579,000 unintended pregnancies every year, to keep doing that job. But it’s Planned Parenthood and it’s an election year, so Republicans are specifically banning Zika prevention funding from being spent at Planned Parenthood.
Planned Parenthood is not a “special interest.” It’s a first-tier health care provider for millions of men and women, and in particular low-income women.
It always amazes me that a father of two daughters is so anti-women. Maybe John is suited to run as VP with Trump?
June 1st, 2016 — Thune
Oh, John, how you make me laugh, you have been in Washington for 200 years now and you still don’t do anything or know what you are talking about. You go and endorse Trump, because like, he is better then Hillary, but other then that you really have nothing else to say about Donald except that Hillary would be like Obama. Kind of sounds like a enormous endorsement of Hillary to me (because she won’t be like Obama, which worries me). But this statement really had me rolling in the hay;
Obama doesn’t adequately address terrorist threats and, as a result, the country has been put at risk.
Ok, John, I hope you washed your hands after pulling that from your ass. There has been no major terrorist attacks on US soil since Obama has been president, or at least attacks that can be directly traced to Alqueda or the Taliban or ISIS. They have either been thwarted or by lone wolves. We can’t say that about GW 911 Bush, who was warned of the World Trade Center attacks and did nothing to thwart them, then attacks Iraq which bankrupts our country. Then there’s that whole catching Osama Bin Laden, some one GW “Didn’t think about that much” You know, he was only the leader of Alqueda and the mastermind of 911. Who was president when he was caught? Oh, that’s right, Obama.
Should be no surprise that John spewed his pathetic excuse for an endorsement for Trump, like everything else that comes from his mouth or hands, as worthless as teats on a boar.
March 16th, 2016 — Cartoon, Thune
January 29th, 2016 — Thune