A message from Kermit Staggers, pass it on . . .

Residents of Sioux Falls,

Don’t forget to vote for me, this Tuesday, April 27th.

I have a proven record as a South Dakota state legislator and Sioux Falls city councilman, promoting strong family values and using common sense to solve problems. I will work hard to keep Sioux Falls on track towards real progress by:

• Creating economic growth by keeping property and sales taxes low and eliminating well-intentioned but costly, unnecessary, and stifling regulation.

• Promoting a strong business climate that encourages job creation with a pro-business climate, low taxation, safe neighborhoods, and a well educated work force.

• Protecting citizens living on fixed income from increasing property taxes.

• Refocusing on the primary functions of government such as the effective and efficient delivery of essential services- better city streets, rapid snow removal, and effective crime prevention.

I have visited over 19,000 households during my time as city councilman, and will continue to be accessible and value your input.

A vote for Me will be a vote for a strong and vibrant Sioux Falls.

Thank you for your support!

Kermit L. Staggers

MY PREDICTION? While I think the race will be tight, I think Kermit will squeak this one out. He has sided with voters on major issues, and they have agreed time and time again. Kermit hasn’t lost many battles in the public’s eyes for a very long time. I don’t expect him to lose this one either.

A little dedication;

#1 kermit the frog on 04.26.10 at 9:12 pm

Sorry Kermit. We have enough career politicians. Wake up, you are part of the problem, not the solution.

#2 l3wis on 04.26.10 at 9:16 pm

Sorry Mike. We have enough career banksters. Wake up, you are part of the problem, not the solution.

#3 Skyorbit on 04.27.10 at 7:09 am

Mike is TRYING to be a career politician. This is just a stepping stone for him, If we don’t want career politicians, we NEED to vote for KErmit Staggers.

#4 Costner on 04.27.10 at 7:11 am

Kermit’s career has been a professor at USF. His time in public office has never been full time because as you know both our state legislators and city councilors only work part time. He has no intention of remaining in public office beyond the Mayor’s office and is only concerned with serving the citizens.

Mike on the other hand originally wanted to run for Governor and has been rumored to want to run for federal office (likely the Senate, possibly the House) but he is ‘settling’ for Mayor this time around. We can’t even get him to promise he will remain in office without trying to run for higher office, so for all we know he will be gone in two years.

So which of these two would seem to have a higher chance of being a career politician again?

#5 Ben on 04.27.10 at 8:13 am

so a guy runs for one political office, & all of a sudden, he’s decried as a career politician? doesn’t make much sense to me. mike’s proven over the past ten months through his dedication & hard work that he wants to be our next mayor regardless of what other offices he might have considered running for. it’s time we have a mayor who’s fiscally responsible but also can provide the leadership necessary to build consensus & to get things done. throughout his professional career, mike’s proven he can do just that.

#6 Costner on 04.27.10 at 8:37 am

Therein lies the problem Ben. Mike’s professional career is not a matter of public record because it is a private company with closed books. When he worked at First Premier he managed a marketing team and a budget, but how do we know what he would do if his budget was suddenly cut by 15%?

How do we know he won’t raise taxes or will be willing to make the hard decisions on what to cut? How do we know he won’t jump ship if another opportunity comes along?

I’m not saying Mike is a bad guy, but the simply truth is he came out of nowhere. He has never been on the city council nor has he ever been invovled in city politics… so we just don’t know how we will run things. We can guess, but we really don’t know.

Staggers on the other hand – we know. We know Kermit is fiscally conservative and we have no reason to think he would change his viewpoint if elected to be Mayor. We know he won’t raise taxes, we know he will make the difficult decisions and budget cuts if need be, and we have over 20 years of publicly available voting history on him to back it up.

No matter how you slice it, there is a clear difference in the PROVEN experience between these two candidates, and since First Premier isn’t about to open up their books to the public there will always be questions about Mike’s motivations and true experience. We can take a chance on Mike and see what we get, or we can go with the proven performance of Kermit.

For some the choice is clear.

#7 l3wis on 04.27.10 at 9:03 am

Yeah, What Costner said.

#8 Scott on 04.27.10 at 9:08 am

Ben wins the cliche award for the day.

#9 T on 04.27.10 at 9:10 am

You want politics? Fine, here is a quote from the former head of the REPUBLICAN PARTY: “The simple fact is that Kermit Staggers is Anti Growth. In this regard he strongly represents his own anti tax and small government views and his senior citizens constituents. Consequently such a statement is not surprising.

What planet is Kermie living on? Can you imagine any contractor making such a statement? Or is was the contractor remark just Staggers’ demagoguery?”

#10 l3wis on 04.27.10 at 9:24 am

I think this is the best debate so far

#11 Plaintiff Guy on 04.27.10 at 10:08 am

Yeah, what Costner said.

But let me add:

Local political office is more a choice to give back for what quality of life has given you. I see this feeling from Staggers.

For Heuther, this is just a spring board. His attention immediately turns to higher office in another election. He’s not a politician but he’d become the worst kind the first year.

Like Iraq after Sadam’s dictatorship; Sioux Falls after Munson needs restored constitutional democracy. Citizens deserve respect. A CEO mayor pays all to himself and citizens might get a ham at christmas. Greed and corruption are what we’ve endured. Staggers could return us to midwest values and quality of life.

#12 l3wis on 04.27.10 at 10:12 am

So what time tomorrow do you expect your verdict to come out?

#13 l3wis on 04.27.10 at 10:15 am

Yes, because a quote from 4 year ago is relevant today. The funny part is if they would have taken Kermit’s advice 4 years ago, the city would probably be in a lot better shape.

#14 Plaintiff Guy on 04.27.10 at 10:31 am

No comment.

However, there will be a verdict here and/or in state court. Then there’s a precident to constitutionally question city civil procedures and the present form of city government.

I didn’t fight a war to come home and have my constitutional rights taken away. They’re still worth my life and my liberty.

#15 Hamerhead on 04.27.10 at 10:48 am

Kermit wins, it hello 1960. The mayor after Kermit would have to be like a Doc Brown with a DeLorean to bring the city into the current century.

#16 l3wis on 04.27.10 at 11:40 am

HH-

Yup, the same old, same old from the opponents of Kermit. It didn’t stick in the general election and it won’t stick today.

#17 kermit the frog on 04.27.10 at 5:42 pm

Mike is winning, Mike is winning

#18 kermit the frog on 04.27.10 at 5:45 pm

Plaintiff guy, comparing Munson to Hussein is absolutely nuts.

#19 kermit the frog on 04.27.10 at 6:26 pm

60% of the vote in, my man Mike up by 8%. Doesn’t look like that close of a race as predicted on this site. Looks like cue ball in the right corner pocket!

#20 Bobert on 04.27.10 at 6:40 pm

Looks like the number of non-taxpayers are outnumbering the taxpayers.

#21 kermit the frog on 04.27.10 at 6:40 pm

71% of the precincts reporting, my man Mike up by 10%! It’s becoming a blowout!

#22 kermit the frog on 04.27.10 at 6:42 pm

13wis, how’s your prediction panning out?

#23 kermit the frog on 04.27.10 at 6:44 pm

74% of the precincts in, my man mike up by 12%. blowout city!

#24 James Milne on 04.27.10 at 6:45 pm

Your just a laugh a minute frog. You are excited that a man who made money by hiding the details meant to take money from you is winning over the guy who believes in one of the simplest documents ever created, the U.S. Constitution.
So far voter turnout is as anemic as ever too.

#25 HA on 04.27.10 at 6:48 pm

Mayor Huether. That sounds nice!

#26 kermit the frog on 04.27.10 at 6:56 pm

84% of the precincts in, my man mike still up by 12%. thank you for coming. The party is over. Mayor Mike! Mayor Mike!

#27 kermit the frog on 04.27.10 at 6:58 pm

Sure milne, doesn’t appear anyone is believing your conspiracy theories.

#28 kermit the frog on 04.27.10 at 7:00 pm

100% in. Mayor Mike wins in a blowout! How did that prediction turnout posted on this site? I believe someone said Kermit in a close one. Well, he was right at 7 am.

#29 Wayne Kramer on 04.27.10 at 7:05 pm

I don’t think Kermie would dig the MC5 and their endorsement of the White Panther Party’s “Dope, Guns and F#@king in the Streets” political platform.

#30 kermit the frog on 04.27.10 at 7:08 pm

I think it had to be a secret plot by monsoon to rig the votes for mike. How’s that for a conspiracy theory? Should work just fine on this site. Mayor Mike! Mayor Mike!

#31 kermit the frog on 04.27.10 at 7:10 pm

Get the pun? Monsoon? lol

#32 James Milne on 04.27.10 at 7:18 pm

Well way to go Sioux Falls, you just voted in a crook that was promoted by crooks. Send your paychecks directly to the new mayor so we can have a sophisticated plan to bring more crooks here. Little Minneapolis here were come!

#33 Floyd the Barber on 04.27.10 at 7:20 pm

South DaCola, Costner, PG and blogaholics:
All your naysaying and conspiracy theories and look where you and Theresa end up – on the losing end, again…

#34 Floyd the Barber on 04.27.10 at 7:29 pm

James, try again – wait until morre comes out about the firefighters complaint about some of the violations that KS has comittedd.

#35 Actually... on 04.27.10 at 7:59 pm

Little Minneapolis sounds like I place I’d like to live. Bring the Twins!

#36 kermit the frog on 04.27.10 at 8:03 pm

Quit your whining and conspiracy crap Milne.

#37 Your Mom on 04.27.10 at 8:04 pm

“While I think the race will be tight, I think Kermit will squeak this one out.”

Guess you’re wrong as usual.

#38 James Milne on 04.27.10 at 8:28 pm

Please do explain this conspiracy I seem to believe in, as I do not see anywhere I would have referenced one.

#39 Costner on 04.28.10 at 6:26 am

Yea I have to say I don’t see myself quoted as believing in any conspiracy theories either. You will also note I predicted Mike to win by a sizable margain – and that is what happened.

It is nice for all these idiots to come here and bask in the glory though. I guess they somehow feel that because the guy they supported won… that makes them superior?

Real sign of class posting a dozen times to rub it in too, but that just tells me what a pathetic little life frog must live if this is the most personal satisfaction he can experience in a given week.

I still say Mike is a good guy and will make a good mayor… provided he doesn’t associate with morons like these.

#40 kermit the frog on 04.28.10 at 6:29 am

Headline in today’s Argus…Kermit Staggers after crushing defeat

#41 James Milne on 04.29.10 at 3:32 pm

I’m sad, our conspiracy theory was not even shown to us. Oh well, attacks with no merit or even basis of reality are the staple of uneducated sheep.

#42 l3wis on 04.29.10 at 6:02 pm

There is only one reason why Mike won, people didn’t want Kermit. No conspiracies here.