Is Mayor Huether stretching the rules of the SF Parade of Lights?

According to the rules and regulations of the parade;

Items to be handed out must be approved by DTSF. Examples of unacceptable items include, but are not limited to, stickers, fliers or business cards.

Somehow BK Junior, over at the War College was able to obtain a campaign email from the Huether camp;

We are going to hand out “My Man Mike” stickers BEFORE the parade to the folks along the parade route.  We will be wearing “My Man Mike” tshirts as we do it.  We can start anytime before 7:30pm (that is when the parade starts).  You don’t have to do anything but smile and ask folks if they want a “My Man Mike’ button.  It should be fun!

If you are interested, or if your family is interested (as long as they are in middle school or above), I would love to have you join us. We will meet in DTSF around 5:30pm or so on Friday night and I will give you a custom made and custom fitted tshirt and a bevy of stickers!!!

Notice he put ‘BEFORE’ in all caps.

So is Huether stretching the rules? It just doesn’t seem like his character 🙁 I’m sure he will say he isn’t ‘campaigning’ just ‘educating’ the public about his mayoral run . . .

#1 Joan on 11.27.13 at 5:06 pm

To me it sounds like it. That being said more than likely there will be a lot of people that disagree with me.

#2 Taxpayer-Voter on 11.27.13 at 6:38 pm

Christmas and Politics!

Very tacky, MMM.

#3 Detroit Lewis on 11.27.13 at 6:47 pm

I don’t have a problem with him campaigning, I just think that ‘pushing the envelope’ with doing the sticker handout ‘before’ the parade seems a little strange. The irony is that if he does go thru with it, I have a feeling he may not have the warm reception he thinks he might get. If I were him, and a bit more modest, I would just walk around and talk to people by myself.

Jamison will have a float in the parade, but I have a feeling he won’t be handing out stickers, t-shirts or peppermint candies.

#4 scott on 11.27.13 at 8:21 pm

How will MMM’s tailor have time to custom fit all those shirts?

#5 pathloss on 11.28.13 at 10:26 am

My “No Home Rule Frisbees” (glow in the dark) are not banned. there will be hundreds flying between the floats. I heard Huether was to body surf along the route. Changed his mind cause he’d mess up his hair and I tend drop people.

#6 anominous on 11.28.13 at 4:00 pm

Do you get a discount at any of the downtown beer places with one of these MMM stickers on you lapel?

#7 Detroit Lewis on 11.30.13 at 11:51 am

Nope, just with a JL Beers Nametag

#8 JT on 11.30.13 at 5:11 pm

I have volunteered with a group that is allowed by DTSF to sell hot chocolate at the Parade of Lights for several years. The past few years, due to DTSF wanting to keep things green, they have required we use paper cups, not styro and no lids, which is great as far as we are concerned. This year, however, a local bank had a promotion and offered to pay for hot chocolate for anyone that could produce a receipt from downtown merchants, again, great idea. But, we had to use cups, lids and foam coffee koosies provided by the bank. THe garbage was unbelievable. And sadly, not one person on our block took us up on the promotion. Message to the kids, we need to be green unless you have a lot of money to promote your business.

#9 JT on 11.30.13 at 5:12 pm

And our kids all came back wearing My Man Mike stickers.

#10 Detroit Lewis on 12.01.13 at 1:57 am

Were they also carrying FP credit card applications?

#11 anonymous on 12.01.13 at 11:29 am

JT

**The business JT refers to is First National Bank.

JT

And our kids all came back wearing My Man Mike stickers.

**The kids JT refers to are the Boy Scouts.

Where were DTSF and the Scout leaders on this one?!!