Sioux Falls City Council Agenda, March 2, 2021

Informational Meeting • Mar 2 • 4 PM

Presentations;

• Downtown Sioux Falls (DTSF) and South Eastern Council of Governments (SECOG) General Updates

• Tuthill Park House Project Status Update

Regular Meeting • Mar 2 • 6 PM

Item #6, Sub Items 17 & 42 totaling $466K to the Washington Pavilion in the form of boiler upgrades and cornice design. Ironically I just brought this up 2 weeks ago at the last city council meeting. While we throw money at the Pavilion like it is confetti we debate for months about the funding of a 100 year old institution. As for the cornice design costs, $250k is an atrocious amount of money to spend on design and further proof of the foolish ways the city spends its money. The rumor going around is the roof replacement will cost us $4 million.

Sub Item #20, Provide consultation and guidance in the areas of cultural
work, organizational alignment and strategy development Fees are established on a per project basis, $375/per hour fee, Dr. Trish Holliday. I’m guessing this contract is with this HR consulting company;

Trish is founding partner with Lucinda Kenning of the HR consulting company, Holliday│Kenning. Both partners are HR executives in the industry and provide leaders in the private and public sectors with an organizational playbook that focuses on growing leaders and driving performance. The Holliday│Kenning framework offers organizations and its leaders a Playbook with five distinct approaches (plays) that are critical for a winning workplace that attracts and retains top talent and drives cultural transformation.

While we know the city hires consultants, I find it troubling we have to hire a cultural HR consultant from Tennessee after Mayor TenHaken convinced the city council we needed a full-time Director of Culture. So what is her job? Rana DeBoer gets paid $117K a year to hire outside consultants to tell her what to do?

Item #34 & 43, 2nd Reading: AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY OF SIOUX FALLS, SD, ESTABLISHING THE TAX INCREMENT REVENUES TO BE COLLECTED AND AUTHORIZING THE PAYMENT OF TAX INCREMENT REVENUES TO SIOUX FALLS DEVELOPMENT FOUNDATION, INC., IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE DEVELOPMENT AGREEMENT FOR TAX INCREMENTAL DISTRICT NO. TWENTY-THREE, CITY OF SIOUX FALLS. I have no doubt that this will pass the council Tuesday night with at least 6 votes. I think there will be an attempt at amending the $30 million slush fund portion of it, but even if the amendment passes it will just be some kind of weak oversight commission. I have no doubt in my mind passing this TIF will send a very dangerous economic precedent in our city.

Item #41, 1st Reading: AN EMERGENCY ORDINANCE OF THE CITY OF SIOUX FALLS, SD, TO REQUIRE FACE COVERING IN AN INDOOR PUBLIC PLACE WHERE 6-FOOT SOCIAL DISTANCING CANNOT BE ACHIEVED. The city council is looking to extend the mask mandate. It will be interesting to see if this passes in 2nd reading.

Item #42, 1st Reading: AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY OF SIOUX FALLS, SD, REPEALING ORDINANCE NO. 31-20 AUTHORIZING INTERIM REVISIONS TO CHAPTER 57 OF THE CODE OF ORDINANCES OF SIOUX FALLS, SD, PERTAINING TO THE NOVEL CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19). This is a repeal of the pointless emergency ordinance that required homeowners to bring their garbage cans to curbside for pickup. Of course, when this went into place it was about the safety of the garbage hauler workers, which I agree with, but the haulers never passed the labor cost savings onto the customers and many customers (mostly senior) have been complaining about hauling there cans to the curbside and getting NO discount to do so. I have no doubt this will pass 2nd reading, but the discussion or debate from the industry should be interesting, I’m sure they will respond with rate hikes, which furthers my argument that we need public garbage service.

Planning Commission • Mar 3 • 6 PM

Item 2 I, Initial Development Plan Amendment for Augustana, While no street closures are involved with the PUD yet, Augustana has been wanting to close Grange at 33rd so they can use the land as part of the campus.

Item 5 D, AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY OF SIOUX FALLS, SD, AMENDING THE CODE OF ORDINANCES OF THE CITY BY AMENDING CHAPTER 160: ZONING BY ADDING SUBCHAPTER ORIGINAL ART MURALS AND AMENDING SECTIONS 160.005 AND 160.578. It seems the city is finally prepared to except mural art on businesses. Someone must have told city hall that it is 2021 and not 1951. All joking aside, this is good and long overdue.

#1 Mike Lee Zitterich on 02.28.21 at 11:33 pm

Washington Pavilion – not much we can do here, if we demolish the building it can only be used for a City Park or a Science and Arts Center as per the rules per “Section 16 Land”. I enjoy the Washington Pavilion and plan on getting a private tour soo to explore parts I have not seen since 1991 when I attended school there.

#2 Fear & Loathing in Sioux Falls on 03.01.21 at 2:50 pm

Class of ’91, huh? That was the last great class before the convenient demographic segregation began in the fall of ’91 with some then graduating at WHS and others at the new RHS in the spring of ’92.

#3 D@ily Spin on 03.01.21 at 4:15 pm

The Washington Bazilion continues to drain the city budget. Without it there could be two high rise empty parking garages.

#4 D@ily Spin on 03.01.21 at 4:25 pm

A cultural director who hires cultural directors. That’s a new one. Next, there will be mask ordinances after there’s a vaccine. Oh, it’s happened. How about Zoom city council meetings so nobody can attend and there’s no Public Comment. We’re well on the way to of-by-for city leaders and developers.

#5 Mike Lee Zitterich on 03.02.21 at 10:10 am

Daily Spin, even if we tore down the Washington Pavilion, cause it is was made SECTION 16 Land, it cannot be used for anything but Education, Science & Arts, Public Parks. There is nothing we can do sir. Least it generates revenues and provides the citizens some entertainment value, let alone childhood events, and concerts.

As for the Cultural Director, I am a bit confused as well; did not the Mayor promote working from home, allowing more people to work from home?

What would stop us from passing new ordinances to shift 20-25% of our City Work Force to be “Home Based” meaning less payroll expenses if we were to sub-contract them allowing them to work from home.

What if…we allow the mask mandate to remain permanent, which was a fear that many of us have had since this City Council chose to NOT listen to the people. Now this ordinance has a “No End Date” except for where the S.D Department of Health tells us we are at 75% Herd Immunity, and even then, what is to say, they will never admit that, but to incorporate these Masks, the Social Distancing, and Plexi-Glass Dividers into our “Commercial and Residential Codes” ??

This was my worst fear coming true; where as we should be promoting a Healthier Lifestyle in terms of a more positive and respective manner of managing our economy, encouraging people to respect each others rights, personal space, and going about their activity respectfully with the intent of a strong economy.

I proposed a “Resolution” to the Council a few weeks ago, but do you think this council will allow for it to be discussed? Time will tell.

IF NOT, I can resort to a petition drive to allow the people to directly vote on it and apply it.

If you would like to read it, please email me @ zitterich76@gmail.com and I can share it.

“WE” need policies that restrict government in our lives, let alone create a vibrant economy. As a small business owner, working a second job just to help pay the bills, these “Restrictions” and codes we are passing are very much restricting our freedom, liberties, and inalienable rights to succeed in life.

And if we are going to change the way we govern, in order to remove the PEOPLE from that role, then it would be time to GO TO WAR with that government.

We are placing the majority of power in the hands of a small few “Developers” rathe than allowing the majority to govern the city themselves.

– Mike Zitterich

#6 Fear & Loathing in Sioux Falls on 03.03.21 at 12:59 am

Mike wants “WAR”! I just want my Mexican Pizza back at Taco Bell. If they can take your Mexican Pizza, then next it will be your gun. They can have my gun, however, if I had one, I just want my damn Mexican Pizza. Where in the hell is Chick-fil-A, too? Is it time to impeach our mayor? It hasn’t been the same without TJ at the helm. They no longer: “Know what to do”…. The Empire is dead, but Louise looks great. Time to put a historic marker there to tells us of the once Sears, GAP, and Younkers. But seriously, I just want my Mexican Pizza and my second shot. Since my first Pfizer, I have been clicking my heels, but I am not too worried. Nothing that a Mexican Pizza couldn’t fix. A hundred years ago, Germany wanted Mexico to go to war with us. Now, we are at war with ourselves. Nothing that a good pizza couldn’t stop, however. Because for me, I just want my damn Mexican Pizza. Chick-fil-A my ass. #GodHelpMe #CanadianBaconPizzaWithPineappleSlices