UPDATE: Sioux Falls 2018 Mayoral/Council Races Heating up

While there haven’t been any official announcements yet, there have been some interesting names thrown around.

Here is where we are right now;

PROBABLY YES

• Greg Jamison (R)
  • Kenny Anderson Jr. (D)
  • Nick Weiland (I)
  • David Zokaites (?)

A BIG MAYBE

• Jim Entenman (R)
  • Christine Erickson (R)

PROBABLY NO

• Michelle Erpenbach (D)
  • Dean Karsky (R)
  • Theresa Stehly (R)

I have also been given two other names, but have been told to keep it on the down low for now until they decide. I still suspect there will be at least 10 candidates on the ballot come next Spring for mayor.

As for the council races there will be four seats up for grabs. Erpenbach (Central) will be an open seat as she is term-limited. Not sure who is looking at it, but I am sure John Paulson will probably be considering a run. He currently is serving on the Planning Commission. Rolfing (At-Large) seat will also be open due to term limits (Thank Gawd!) I have not heard of any interested parties for that seat. Which brings us to Kiley that is up for re-election in the SE District. There is a recruitment effort for someone to run against Kiley, but that may depend on who runs for Rolfing’s empty seat. Then you factor in Erickson who is up for re-election also as an At-Large, if she chooses to run for Mayor, that would also leave an empty seat.

Am I considering a run? At this point NO. But I will be working hard to recruit people to run for all 4 seats.

#1 Sierra broussrd on 02.17.17 at 12:34 pm

Greg Jamison all the way

#2 The D@ily Spin on 02.17.17 at 1:09 pm

Hmmm Kenny Anderson sounds good. Jamison is to mellow. I’d like to see Starr run. His council votes have always favored the population and are aside from the Huether Sanford Cult.

#3 be part of the solution on 02.17.17 at 1:12 pm

Any word on the counselor positions that will be open or the school board this summer?

#4 Reliable Voter on 02.17.17 at 4:06 pm

The enemy of your enemy doesn’t necessarily make them a good candidate for Mayor.

#5 Polo Loco on 02.17.17 at 5:55 pm

South Dacola stop pretending you will ever run for anything because we all know you won’t. You always claim you will or are considering it but never do. Time to get up or shut up

#6 Mike Kokenge Sr on 02.18.17 at 8:16 am

There are two people I would like to see reinvolved with the city of SF. Jennifer Holsen, and Debra Owen. They would both serve the city and it’s citizens well.

Between your yes and maybes for mayor. A while back I would have supported Jamison. The fact that he was willing to throw the baby out with the bath water concerning IM 22 tells me to be very leery of him at this point. That would leave me with two choices. Erickson or Anderson. Right now leaning Anderson, but would enjoy the debate between these two.

#7 SF Voter on 02.18.17 at 11:20 am

I like the Debra Owen suggestion. I also believe she is an attorney and thus educated properly for the job.

Jamison, Anderson, and Erickson were/are often too concerned about taking on the establishment when needed.

Karsky and Entenman are DEFINITE, ABSOLUTE NO, NO, NOs!!!!! YUK!!!! BOTH ARE SO IMPRESSED WITH THEMSELVES!!!!

#8 scott on 02.18.17 at 3:38 pm

does this mean jamison is already tired of the legislature, or would he do both?

#9 public input on 02.19.17 at 12:17 pm

Would be curious to know if David Zokaites actually knows anything about local government/issues!

#10 Larry on 02.19.17 at 10:01 pm

Some very credible names there and some quite troubling ones too. +1 Reliable voter! Spot on.