Sanford Sports Complex proposes baseball stadium in long range plan

As I mentioned in the City Council agenda below, the Sanford Sports complex is making some adjustments to their long range plan. While I welcome a private entity building a baseball stadium, I find it interesting this all came out AFTER the EC Campus Book Club recommended tearing down the current SF Stadium and creating a baseball stadium task force. It seems we can skip that step and just let Sanford build it for us.

I also heard they are going to change the name of the team from the Sioux Falls Canaries to the Sanford Predators 🙂

#1 Scott on 08.31.19 at 7:59 pm

I like this plan. I’m sure many will as well. But since it seems doable and expands many sports programs, the fabulous RS5 will be against it.

#2 Just visiting from an other time on 08.31.19 at 10:59 pm

How about the Sanford Fleet Farmers? Or, the Medicaid Fraudsters? Housing Eliminators, anyone?

#3 matt johnson on 09.01.19 at 8:24 am

Had the task force determined to keep and upgrade the present facility there would have been no reason for such a large scale project at the sports complex; thus the plan comes when the recommendation is made. I know you indicate- and have advocated- that private funds should be used. I don’t understand your disappointment when someone comes forward to do so. As to the name, I believe that the basketball team playing on that campus has retained the same name for its entire existence in Sioux Falls, unlike the baseball team.

#4 l3wis on 09.01.19 at 1:09 pm

I said private funds SHOULD NOT be used in a new stadium. There really is NO reason taxpayers should be subsidizing a minor, minor, minor league baseball stadium. If Sanford wants to do it, have at it. The Sanford Predators name is a ‘snark’ on predatory lending, hense the 🙂

#5 D@ily Spin on 09.01.19 at 2:31 pm

Isn’t it obvious that Sanford will not develop a new stadium until the present one is demolished at taxpayer expense?

#6 Why do hospitals have huge waterfalls? on 09.01.19 at 3:23 pm

Given health care costs, the name should have been changed to SkyRocket, shouldn’t it have?

#7 D@ily Spin on 09.01.19 at 5:22 pm

Did anybody notice that both SD offices for the Democratic Party were closed due to campaign funds irregularity?

#8 matt johnson on 09.01.19 at 6:47 pm

now I am confused – you said private funds SHOULD NOT be used and there is NO reason taxpayers should subsidize a stadium; must be like the third (and fourth and fifth and so on) gender; now there is a source of funds neither private or public

#9 Still waitng 4 my Popeyes chicken sandwich! on 09.01.19 at 9:43 pm

When a political party has offices in a given state, but in two different time zones, does that cause a space time relativity? Or, does it cause them to be closed simultaneously, but at different times?