Nooooooooooooooo!!!

MICKEY

In what could be one of the saddest acquisitions ever in the history of business, Disney has bought Marvel for $4billion.

Between Disney’s Standards and Practices department, and their marketing team, the whole of the Marvel portfolio will now be turned into another Miley-esque fad for ‘tweens’ that will burn out and die in a few years.

You can say goodbye to anything even your mom would say is edgy or dark in comic books and the movies about them.

This is truly a sad day for nerds everywhere.

The possibilities are endless, and horrifying:

ca-hm

#1 Costner on 08.31.09 at 8:31 am

It sounds horrid, but Disney hasn’t screwed up ABC or ESPN and for the most part their ownership has been transparent, so it might not be as bad as it seems.

You can expect a new Iron Man themed attraction at Disney World however.

#2 l3wis on 08.31.09 at 8:51 am

Cost-

Don’t be so sure. I still remember when Von Dutch’s family sold rights to his name to Urban Outfitters. I walked up to snotty, 20 something girl one time who was wearing a Von Dutch shirt, and asked, “Do you even know who Von Dutch is?” She says, “It is a designer for Urban outfitters.” I started laughing and said, “Yeah, you keep telling yourself that.”

#3 Costner on 08.31.09 at 8:58 am

Don’t even get me started on the Von Dutch trend, but that has more to do with ignorance of the consumer than anything perpetuated by the company who owns the rights to use the name.

The Disney / Marvel fiasco could end up being (as GoD indicated) the death of Marvel, but it might just be a different parent ownership which could quite possibly be invisible to us all.

Time will tell. I just hope Mickey keeps his little white gloves off.

#4 l3wis on 08.31.09 at 9:02 am

Sorry, GoD, I had to change the image, this is something I did awhile back, and I think it is perfect for this post.

#5 l3wis on 08.31.09 at 9:08 am

Let’s sing along;

D-I-C-K-E-Y-M-O-U-S-E

#6 PP at the SDWC on 08.31.09 at 10:11 am

I had to laugh. We both wrote our posts independently, and managed to come up with almost identical headlines.

#7 BWJunior on 08.31.09 at 10:58 am

But Scott has much cooler illustrations to go along with his version…

#8 Ghost of Dude on 08.31.09 at 11:22 am

That isn’t Scott’s headline, it’s mine. More than one person writes these posts, you know.

You can expect a new Iron Man themed attraction at Disney World however.

Disney will neuter Iron Man. Can you imagine the drunk, womanizing Tony Stark in a Disney movie? Exactly. Robert Downey Jr. (the real one) was perfect for the role of Tony Stark. I shudder to think what the Disney version will look like.

#9 Randall on 08.31.09 at 12:28 pm

Disney owning MARVEL?

Awww man… nothing good can come from this.

It’s, it’s, I dunno, it’s like – it’s the same reason Mickey left Minnie…

fuckin’ Goofy.

#10 Sy on 08.31.09 at 1:18 pm

Randall shoots and scores.

#11 Warren Phear on 09.01.09 at 4:52 am

This is truly a sad day for nerds everywhere.
~GoD

Disney was not always what it is today. Cases in point.

Looney Tunes were the same. My favorite though? Without a doubt….

Most of these ’40’s tunes were played well into the ’60’s.