Homeless

Sioux Falls Mayor TenHaken continues his closed government idiocy

Boy the hits keep a coming;

While I totally support this forum, I am not sure what Dean Karsky and Poops are going to contribute? That they have virtually done nothing about the issue? But what is even more intriguing is how they rolled this out. I asked two journalists today about when this was originally announced. Both said today, but one said he did know on Monday because he knew someone involved in its production. So you were organizing an event and didn’t bother to tell the public until the day before? Seriously? Don’t think this was an after thought or done by mistake, when you tell people about an event 24 hours before that event it is pretty clear to me you don’t want the public to show up. While I get many orgs were notified, why not notify the people who are affected? THE PUBLIC! Would love to go to this, but it is at an awful time, and since I just learned about it I could not plan for it. Poops, you keep crying about public engagement but at every corner you kick us in the face. Prime example here. I tell folks in the community that you best get used to the panhandlers and homeless because the current administration(s) don’t have the solution or care.

It was only a matter of time

I warned some city councilors several months ago that with the increase of transients in Sioux Falls, things like this would occur;

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (Dakota News Now) – A 32-year-old Sioux Falls man has now been indicted on murder charges after a man he allegedly assaulted passed away from his injuries.

Robin Swallow was indicted by the Minnehaha County State’s Attorney’s Office on Wednesday for murder in the first degree and one alternative count of murder in the second degree.

The incident occurred on September 22 near 12th Street and Cleveland Avenue in Sioux Falls.

A group of people were drinking in an area of trees when an altercation occurred.

A 64-year-old man was taken to the hospital with life-threatening injuries and Swallow was arrested for aggravated assault, kidnapping, robbery and a parole violation.

The victim has been identified as Michael Raymond Colvin of Sioux Falls. Police said Colvin was hospitalized for several weeks and ultimately passed away. After an autopsy, Colvin’s death was ruled a homicide.

The troubling part is what if an innocent bystander happened upon this? Would they have been safe? The ‘transient’ problem we have in Sioux Falls isn’t just about addicts wandering our streets aimlessly it’s about a city government and police department that have stood their ground in NOT helping to MANAGE the issue, and also NOT filling us in. Why does the SFPD have a public information officer if that officer doesn’t tell us anything?!

It’s time the City Council had a serious working session to discuss a long term strategy on how to MANAGE the issue before more people end up dead.

Is Sioux Falls Parks and Rec offering FREE camping in the parks now?

I took this pic about 11 AM this morning between Cherry Rock park and Rotary park. Someone peeked their head out as I was riding away.

I just shook my head a few weeks ago when some talking heads with the city said that the transient/nuance problem downtown is getting better. Really? Maybe during the day, but when I ride at night, I have never seen that many different groups. I did a headcount last week and it averages about 15 individuals I see camped out after dark each night in about 6 different areas downtown. Not all are sleeping but most have their camp setup and ready for the night. I have also seen many camps along the bike trail underneath picnic shelters. I’m not sure who is providing the messaging folks data or what they are being communicated, but the problem has gotten progressively worse since June. Not sure what the solution is, but lying to the public about it and ignoring the problem isn’t a solution either.

Full of more crap than a Christmas goose

So I was thinking, maybe the solution to our goose problem is shipping them off to Springfield, Ohio? Just keep the residents away from our dog parks. Those folks would have a feeding frenzy. Oh, Donny, the stories you weave.

AND IT CONTINUES TO PILE ON

While a certain dynamic duo in town seems to have the governor on the run with her credit card statements I got a chuckle out of what this news organization(?) had to say about why they are doing it;

COMBATTING SECRECY AND IGNORANCE

That’s rich considering these two hid investor information from the public when applying to be the legal newspaper of Sioux Falls, oh, and got the unethical council and SOS’s office in on your scam. Government SECRECY!? You make me laugh. Also, how do you combat ignorance? Ignorance is the lack of knowledge on any particular topic. So is this paper going to make the public more aware of the corruption in Pierre with their 4,000 subscriptions? I’m dying! Hopefully you will figure out what hair and nail salons Noem has been visiting these days. The public is DYING to know, just don’t give them the info in a gravel pit.

SPECIAL CONTRACTS FOR SPECIAL PEEPS

Well it was like Christmas for certain ad agencies in town last Tuesday at the City Council meeting;

Councilor Ryan Spellerberg brought two separate amendments Tuesday night – both of which passed unanimously and with minimal council discussion. One allocated $150,000 for a marketing campaign to encourage the public to donate to charities rather than to panhandlers.

Yes Kids, instead of actually taking REAL capital and spending it on bus tickets to help get these folks home or a street outreach program that picks these folks up at night we are giving the money to well connected ad agencies to tell us to NOT give to these folks. Talk about government ignorance!

With the recent closure of the Sioux City warming shelter we are in deep doo doo this winter. Instead of finding ways to ignore these folks, maybe come up with a plan for this winter, like NOW! I hate to say it, but I have a feeling we are going to be reading about a lot of homeless tragedies this winter.

I heard next week the council is going to fund a marketing campaign called, “Nothing to see here, move along.” it will be for discouraging folks to come to public input and public meetings.

SPEAKING OF DEAD GEESE

Not sure this ties in, but I don’t care. The city wants to see the entire Delbridge Collection sold as a group. Like I said, could care less about a bunch of dusty monkeys in Lenin’s Tomb, but there is some historic and scientific value to the collection and we should save it. I think we are missing a massive opportunity here to build a very unique exhibit, but instead we have to make sure the Mayor and his friends make money building a convention center we don’t need. SHINY BALL, MUST TOUCH!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!